Winter is well and truly here. Our gas bill has doubled due to my obsession with sitting in front of the heater even though I'm already warm in the first 5 minutes, I've already had 2 colds that have lasted a good week, the sun doesn't get up until 7:00 am, and it's dark again by 5:30 pm. For people who love winter, I just don't get it. How are you meant to get outside and enjoy life when it's absolutely freezing, and most likely raining? For those of you who can't tell, I was definitely made for summer and the warmer weather.
It's probably a good thing that Ezra met me in summer when we first started dating, because he has come to learn I become a totally different person in the colder months! We may not have even got together if we met in winter. Ezra has this theory that you should date a girl/guy at least a year before you get married, so you can see what they're like through every season... apparently the change can be quite drastic. But hey, we did 2 years of dating so he can't have been too put off.
I'm just a happier person in summer. I'm so much more motivated in summer to get things done, and get outside and enjoy the day. Let me give you a couple of examples:
Summer: Wake up at 6:00 am and go for a run because the sun is shining, it's going to be a beautiful day and the temperature is perfect. Winter: Set the alarm for 6:00 am then sleep in until 7:00 am because it's still pitch black and absolutely freezing. There's no way I'm getting out of bed to run in the dark where spider webs are lurking, and dog poo is hiding (apparently when it's winter and dark, people don't see the need in picking up after their dogs any more?)
Summer: Have some fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, it's light, refreshing and nice and healthy. Winter: Eat some porridge, some toast, a morning coffee or hot chocolate, any carbs you can find... pretty much just eat and eat to find some comfort from the freezing cold until you've put on 5 kg's, but you still don't stop eating because what else is there to do in winter?!
Ok so I know it's all a mindset, and I did actually just come out of church where I heard all about positive talk, and being a person who speaks life..so I've decided to give you 5 positives about winter:
- It's great for snuggles - but make sure you monitor this so it doesn't become a negative where you stay in bed all morning and get nothing productive done. Been there one too many times.
- Netflix and chill. Haha I only ever say this for fun because we totally don't have Netflix, but the concept of a cold winters night, pouring with rain, and your inside with a movie, hot chocolate, plenty of junk food and spending time with friends, family, or hey even a night in by yourself like this sounds pretty good to me.
- Fire! I absolutely love an open fire. This would probably be my favourite thing about winter. I've grown up with open fires, I love the smell of the smoke burning from chimneys, and I could sit in front of one for hours. So a fireplace is a definite bonus in winter.
- Winter fashion is always fun. Lots of layers and scarf's and beanies. And because of all the layers you can hide all the winter weight you have been putting on...is this just me? Haha I love a good baggy jumper.
- Ok I was struggling to come up with a fifth positive... all I could think of was without winter... you can't have winter escapes!! Ez and I are still working on this as winter always seems to creep up on us, and it's not until every other person we know seems to be in Europe, America, Bali, that we think, why don't we ever go away in winter?
We are currently looking into some cheap flights to Bali if we can make a quick last minute escape this year (as Ezra has heard one too many times how over winter I am). But hey whether we go away this year or not, I'll try to embrace all that winter holds, and to anyone else out there who is married or dating a summer baby, try to hold tight to the memories you have of them from the summer time, your fun, loving, joyful partner will be back soon!